Welcome To Our Office in Nicholasville, KY . Request Your Appointment Today

Call Us!

Pet Poison Prevention Awareness

The last full week in March is Pet poison Prevention Awareness week.  Many common household items such as certain foods, plants, medications, and chemicals can be harmful for your pets.  Awareness of the potential risks for your pets is key for prevention.  The Pet Poison Helpline (www.petpoisonhelpline.com) has listed the top 10 toxin calls for dogs and cats as follows –


  1. Chocolate (the dark and bakers chocolate varieties are the most toxic)
  2. Mouse and Rat poisons
  3. Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen
  4. Xylitol (found in sugar free gums, medications, candies, and foods)
  5. Vitamin D (in large amounts)
  6. Antidepressant medications
  7. Fertilizers(
  8. Grapes and Raisins
  9. Decongestant Medications
  10. Caffeine (pills and drinks)


  1. Lilies
  2. Topical flea and tick medications for dogs (containing pyrethroids and pyrethrins)
  3. Household cleaners
  4. Antidepressant medications
  5. Mouse and rat poisons
  6. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen
  7. Glow sticks/glow jewelry
  8. Amphetamines such as ADD/ADHD medications
  9. Decongestant medications
  10. Essential oils ( see the pet poison helpline site for a full list of toxic oils)

These are only the top ten for each species, but our pets can be exposed to many other toxins; such as –

  1. Garden rodent, snail, and slug baits; Blood meal and Bone meal
  2. Some common plants:  Autumn Crocus, Azalea, Rhododendron, Cyad/Sago palms, Dieffenbachia, Lily (cats), Lily of the Valley, Oleander, Spring bulbs, Yesterday today and tomorrow, and Yew
  3. Table foods such as – Alcohol, Caffeine, Chocolate, Fatty foods, Grapes and raisins, Macadamia nuts, Onions and garlic, salt (high levels), anything containing Xylitol, Yeast Based dough

If you think your pet may have ingested something harmful, please call us right away @ 859-887-8086, if our office is closed call one of the  after-hour hospitals, or the Pet Poison Helpline @ 855-289-0358 (there is a $49.00 consultation fee when calling the Helpline). 

Please have the following information ready when calling for help –

  1. What was ingested and when
  2. Amount you think may have been ingested
  3. The most current weight for your pet
  4. Pet’s medical history, especially current medication your pet is taking

If your pet is convulsing, having breathing issues, unconscious, or repeatedly vomiting seek medical help immediately.  It’s a great idea to have our number as well as the numbers to an after-hour clinics already programed into your phone.  Please feel free to call the clinic with any questions you may have; or visit the Pet Poison Helpline for more information.

Call Us Text Us